Second fire in one day cancels school at LHS

Second fire in one day cancels school at LHS

Students evacuate the building a second time in the same day due to a fire alarm on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015. This alarm was prompted by burning wrestling mats in the South Gym hallway.

Lincoln High School students evacuate the building a second time in the same day due to a fire alarm on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015. This alarm was prompted by burning wrestling mats in the South Gym hallway. Photo by Greg Keller

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the building…

Less than two hours after a trash can fire sent LHS students and staff out in the cold Thursday morning, a second fire sent them scrambling again. This time some wrestling mats by the South Gym caught fire sending flames and smoke high into the air. No one was hurt, but the damage and smoke prompted officials to cancel school for the rest of the day.

[Click here to see more photos.]

PE teacher Dan Beckman was alerted to the fire by a student. “I was at the end of the South Gym hallway, and I could see the flames from there,” Beckman said. “So I told a student to grab the fire alarm while I went to try to find a fire extinguisher or something to put it out with.”

The scorched walls and floor, as well as a completely melted fire alarm, demonstrate the severity of the fire. Photo by Greg Keller

The scorched walls and floor, as well as a completely melted fire alarm, demonstrate the severity of the fire. Photo by Greg Keller

Quick-thinking staff members, including Athletic Director Pat Gatzmeyer, Assistant Athletic Director Richard Bollen, PE teachers Stewart Venbable, Mark Macke, Beckman, and wrestling coach Andy Genrich, put the blaze out with coolers full of water from the training room. Their biggest concern was that the flames would reach higher and spread. “We ended up tipping [the mats] over,” Genrich said.  He and other teachers dragged the still-smoldering mats outside to safety.

LHS Principal Mike Wortman surveys the damage with firefighters after burning wrestling mats are cleared from the South Gym hallway on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015.

LHS Principal Mike Wortman surveys the damage with firefighters after burning wrestling mats are cleared from the South Gym hallway on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015. Photo by Greg Keller

One mat was completely destroyed, and at least two more were scorched. “A whole mat costs between $7,000 and $8,000,” Genrich said.

Meanwhile, students were stranded outside the building in near-freezing temperatures and frigid winds for nearly half an hour waiting for fire fighters to give the all clear. They never did.

School was canceled for the rest of the day, along with after school and evening activities, including the Bands Against Bullying, and students weren’t allowed back into any part of the building. Their belongings will be locked up in teacher’s classrooms until 1 p.m. today when students (escorted by teachers) can retrieve them. Otherwise, students will collect their things tomorrow morning at the beginning of the school day.

Wrestling mats smolder outside the South Gym after being pulled out by PE teachers. The mats cost approximately $7,000 apiece.

Wrestling mats smolder outside the South Gym after being pulled out by PE teachers. The mats cost approximately $7,000 apiece. Photo by Greg Keller

The swim meet that was to be held at LHS was moved to Southeast. The Winter Spirit Rally that was scheduled for tomorrow will continue as planned at this point, according to Principal Mike Wortman.

The investigations into both fires are ongoing. School officials are asking anyone with information about either situation to contact them.

 

Students are escorted by staff members back to class to get their belongings after being evacuated for a fire earlier in the day. Photo by Greg Keller

Students are escorted by staff members back to class to get their belongings after being evacuated for a fire earlier in the day. Photo by Greg Keller

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments
Advocate
EDITOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

2 Comments

  • Santanna Spahn
    January 29, 2015, 4:21 pm

    This makes me very upset that someone has the nerve to set stuff of fire with students and staff in the building. I can not thank the staff enough for acting in a quick manner to help put out the flames. That could of been worse then what it was, I’m grateful it wasn’t. Whoever did that does not need to be a Link. That showed great disrespect on the school and the school name.

    (Former student)

    REPLY
  • Lexi
    January 29, 2015, 9:15 pm

    Yeah. It wasn’t fun to be outside, waiting to see if we were allowed s to go back inside. My friends and I ended up sitting in my friends car across from the school, because we were freezing!! Not a good day! But at least no one was hurt. 🙂 <3 Xx

    REPLY

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos